We are gradually adding photographs which depict Broseley past and present.
Many of these have been supplied by local residents to whom we are grateful.
Photo Gallery of Broseley
Photographs of Jackfield & The Severn
Photographs of Broseley Wood
Broseley High Street - 1930's?.
This is still the main shopping street in the town and is little changed
today. The tall monument left of centre was dedicated to Mr Pritchard and was
demolished in the 1960's It is hoped that new monument will be build soon and this
will house the Town Hall Clock which was recently discovered in the stores of the nearby
Ironbridge Gorge Museum
|Broseley Town Hall was built in 1779.
The building stood
in the high street until the 1960's when it was demolished, allegedly because it was
unsafe, and was replaced by a mini-market. This picture was taken by the Shropshire Star
in 1963 just before the building was razed to the ground. The clock in the
centre was believed lost and was the source of many local rumours, however it has recently
been found in the stores of the nearby Ironbridge Gorge Museum. Plans are now afoot
to bring it back to Broseley for the Millennium.
The lower floor was originally open and was used as a market and the upper floor was
used as a venue for local dances etc.
"Before the Elite Cinema, the Town hall was where they used to show the films.
There was only one projector so when it came to the end of a reel you had to wait until it
had been rewound, It was a long interval sometimes. People got up and walked
about and had a smoke. There weren't any refreshments. I think it was during
the war." - S. Pountey
Wrestlers and boxers used to come to the Town Hall for show fights. They would
challenge local men to compete, with 1 for the winner. Bill Osbourne was a local
man who took them on.
|This view of the front of the Town Hall
was taken during the 1940's. It appears to be one of the many rallies which were
held to rise money for the war effort. The brick wall, over which the flag is
draped, was built when the lower floor of the Hall was converted into the air raid shelter
for Broseley, however no bombs were ever dropped on the town.
Street leads form the Parish Church, which is to the East of the
town, to the High Street. Apart from modern day traffic the scene is little changed
from when this postcard was published. Most of the houses date from the late 18th
and early 19th centuries when this part of town was inhabited by the more prosperous
members of the community.
The house on the extreme right is known as "Iron
Top" cottage and has roofing joists made of local iron as well as iron framed
|H. Dixon was a grocer in the high street
shop still stands and is now a hardware shop. Although a small town of
inhabitants, Broseley still has a thriving shopping centre with two bakers and two
butchers, numerous small shops as well as the Spar supermarket which replaced the town hall.
|The Victoria Hall
was originally the Gospel Hall built as a meeting house for the Plymouth Brethren.
It later became a billiard hall and by the time this photograph was taken it was
the local library.
This photograph is from the Shropshire Star and was taken on 18th
March 1965. The caption read " Victoria Hall, which developers want to knock
down to make way for the town centre face lift" Fortunately, unlike the Town
Hall, the developers did not get their way and the building survived to become a community
centre. It is now used to host local events.
When the nearby school closed the Library was moved from the Victoria Hall to the
Click here for the full article from 1965 and see what
Broseley missed !